Welcome to Proverbs 12:1

Greetings in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and welcome to Proverbs 12:1...
a place where you can share thoughts and ideas about the Bible, ministry, and theology.
We hope you visit often! God bless you as you serve Him!

Friday, June 29, 2007

The Future of Youth Ministry - A Question!

I remember volunteering for youth work at Immanuel Baptist Church in Hannibal, Missouri when I was a student at Hannibal-LaGrange College. I volunteered for a "Disciple Now" weekend. It was truly an exciting event and we had a great time.

I had HIGH hopes of reaching teenagers...and I was going to change the world. However, 15 years later I find myself asking..."what is the future of youth ministry?"

A recent study by LifeWay presented some dismal facts about teenagers. A majority of teenagers, while they believe Jesus is real, believe He sinned or believe that He is not the only way to heaven. Many believe that they can be good and never have to have a relationship with Christ.

In my office, I have a copy of the book "The New Tolerance" by Josh McDowell. He raises a valid point about how our teenager-culture has become more, shall we say, ecumenical in their thinking. Face it...in our culture today, teenagers believe there are numerous ways to heaven. Many who do attend church attend for social reasons and for what some have termed a "prosperity" message. The belief that everyone is right and no one is wrong has a firm grip on the culture.

I have also noticed that the age of adult-hood is getting lower and lower. Debate now exists as to whether we need a "senior" year in our high-schools. More and more teenagers and even pre-teens have cell-phones and jobs.

The world of the teenager has drastically changed. So...I ask you...what is the future of youth ministry?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the emphasis needs to shift....see this article for what I mean. http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=17648

I'm sure I don't have the answers. But I think the questions need to be asked.